Drosera Germination

Dave Kirk (davek@enternet.co.nz)
Sun, 01 Dec 1996 21:00:38 +1300

Charles <charles@dorsai.org> wrote:

>As i recall, animals, upon digesting the plant, will spread the seeds
>away from the initial colony. Their digestive juices may have a
>softening/thinning effect on the seed coat.
>
>Could this be the possible "missing" ingredient in increasing germination
>rates?

A thought occurs to me that in many places where Drosera species hang out
there's a more or less thick layer of mosses & misc. detritus where certain
fungi very probably abound.

Many terrestrial orchids, at least in NZ, grow where D. auriculata, binata
grow and orchid seed typically needs mycorrhizal fungi to germinate and
supply its nutrients in the interim.

I have no idea of any micorhizal associations amongst CP's, but ~ perhaps
the same fungi are instrumental in invading the seed coat as they do in
orchids, and triggering germination.

This, of course, doesn't help much those of us who are trying to get a good
germination rate with D. sp. Too much like attempting to emulate Nature,
which is kinda hard for us humans!

Regards,
Dave
-
- Dave Kirk
P.O. Box 13 323
Tauranga, New Zealand
Ph. 64 7 576 7533

>"Humanity, let us say, is like people packed in an automobile which is
travelling downhill without lights at a terrific speed and driven by a
four-year-old child. The signposts along the way are marked 'progress.'"
-Lord Dunsany<