Re: Re: CP Conservation

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Mon, 25 Nov 96 17:08 EST

> From: "Michael.Chamberland" <23274MJC@MSU.EDU>
>
> I can see that would be very helpful--if the map was plotting locations for
> endagered habitat or habitat types (ie. bog locations, wetland sites,
> undeveloped costal dunes, serpentine soils). But why map CP? They are
> not even a natural group (they are not monophyletic, they are not
> representitive of any particular habitat type, all species are not
> threatened).

Umm... Why not? If this record is kept, and updated as locations
are lost, it will be of great use to show people (GOV) what is
happenning to these plants. We are CP people and that's what
ICPS is for, so why wouldn't we be interested in mapping them?

> that plant hobyists could be weaned into becoming conservationists, or
> at least conservation-minded. In fact, I bet that many conservationists
> DO start that way! But I don't see how spreading a lot of habitat data
> among the public can accelerate the process. This is probably worth
> more discussion in another thread...

Michael,

If you said, "Look here is this county XXX, it's got some CP
in it." I wouldn't have much trouble find a couple spots within
one day. Even if they're not the spots you have been to. The
point is this: To find out where plants are, the data is already
out there in books and very easily accessible. If you look in
Schell's book, it gives you a map for every species of North American
CP. I could easily find all the plants shown in his book using
his maps. The additional data from the CP mapping project will
not endanger the plants anymore than they already are!

Dave Evans