Re: Neps liquid level

burkhard@aries.scs.uiuc.edu
Thu, 21 Nov 1996 09:44:14 -0600 (CST)

Charles Brewer wrote:
<snip>
> when I moved, I dumped the fluid out of all my sarr and nep's to keep
> them from spilling out all over the truck. Now all my plants are in a
> greenhouse which does not get the normal rain. I took a moment the other
> day to check the water levels of some of my plants(sarr and nep's) and
> to my surprise, there was standing water in most of the pitchers. Some
> plants had more fluid then others did. Besides the plant drawing water
> up from the roots, I am wandering if there is some sort of condensation
> action that takes place within the pitchers that may helps to increase
> the fluid level.
> Charles Brewer
> Virginia Beach, Va

Hi Charles. I am also quite surprised and fascinated, especially if the
Neps are transporting enough water through their roots to fill up full
sized pitchers. It seems that I may not be keeping the soil wet enough for
my Sarrs and Neps. Your idea of condensation is interesting, however I
have never observed any water droplets on the inside walls of the
pitchers. Swabbing the inside walls of a pitcher might give evidence of
microdroplets.

Paul Burkhardt