Re: CP CD Rom

Rick Walker (walker@cutter.hpl.hp.com)
Wed, 20 Nov 1996 11:26:56 -0800

> From: "Zachary B. Kaufman" <zbk49255@challenger.atc.fhda.edu>
> How about a CP CDROM that would have ALL the back issues of CPN
> on it, pictures and all. That would be really cool. It would be
> great for those of us who have not been ICPS memebers for that long of
> a time. (I assume when you mentioned putting some back issues of
> CPN on the proposed CD ROM, you were only refering to a fraction
> of the set to fill space.)

We only have the last couple of CPN volumes in electronic form. (Since
Steve Baker started doing the page composition for us). The rest of the
last 18 years, or so, exist only in paper form. We would either have to
simply scan each page, or have some volunteers retype all the text into
ASCII form. Many of the old artwork no longer exists, so this would
need to be scanned from published material.

> From: dave evans <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
> Wow, Now that sounds interesting! If done this way, perhaps
> two disks could be made... One for the back issues and a seperate
> disk with web-page material. In this way, the CPN disk will still
> retain it's unique quality and we would not need to worry about
> mixing the two projects then. How much disk space might be
> needed for all the back issues?

Well, we only have about 180 Meg of stuff for the CP WEB page. This
is only about 25% of the CDROM capacity. I expect that the entire output
of CPN, reduced to jpeg images and ascii text would be less than 100 Meg.

(We already have the CP listserv discussion on the CP WEB page from
1990-1995. When printed out, this is over 5000 pages - a 20 inch stack
of paper! Compared to this, the old CPNs take up very little space)

Before either the CP database, or the CPNs make it to CDROM we will need
to come up with a fair number of volunteers - The database needs more
images/monographs/etc., before it is ready to go - and the back issues
of CPN will need a lot of work being retyped and scanned.

Best regards,

--
Rick Walker