Re: Nepenthes leaves turning red

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Mon, 18 Nov 96 20:33 EST

> From: "Rupert G. Goldie" <epartg@EPA.ERICSSON.SE>
>
> Now that I finally have a polyhouse to try to provide a bit of humidity
> and heat I have started to populate it. About a week ago I bought a
> N. Ventricosa, N. Rafflesiana and a N. Gracilis. The N. Ventricosa seems
> to be doing fine, but many of the leaves of the N. Rafflesiana and
> N. Gracilis are turning a deep red. Firstly, is this a bad sign, and if
> so what might be causing it.

Hi,

Perhaps the lowlanders, which get less light for the most part,
are getting burned by the sun? Or the lower temperature is causing
the plants to turn this color... N.gracilis can become completely
red in cool/cold weather as can N.mirablis. N.gracilis (negro purpurea)
can, supposedly (I haven't let mine get cool), become very, very
dark to the point of appearing black or blood like.
N.ventricosa is a highlander and, generally, gets more light
and will like cooler temps so that is why it's not affected either way.

Dave Evans