Re: ICPS and Habitat Conservation

L235@aol.com
Thu, 14 Nov 1996 15:11:47 -0500

ICPS President Rick Walker wrote, responding to Ronnie Spears:

>I'll give you whatever support I can as president of the ICPS (assuming
>I'm re-elected, that is - :-) ).
>
>This next year, my highest priority is to incorporate the ICPS as a
>501-C3 non-profit organization. We will be modifying our by-laws soon
>to accomplish this. I would like to set up the ICPS structure so that
>we can buy and steward patches of habitat in the fashion of Nature
>Conservancy. Non-profit status will allow us to accept tax-deductible
>contributions, and to apply for government and corporate sponsorship. I
>believe that this is necessary.
>
>I also believe that this is only a stopgap measure. We also need to do
>what we can to allow the larger public to empathize with the habitats,
>the plants, and the animals that live in these habitats.
>
>> We growers, scientists, and conservationist need to write our
>> representatives, the DNR, and Conservation societies to urge them to
>> protect what is left. If we do not, we may find ourselves looking at
>> the California Condor of weedom.

***
I'll assume from Rick's very apt comments that we're allowed to stump for our
ICPS candidacies online (Rick, please let me know if that advantage only goes
to incumbents <grin>)

I'm running for ICPS vice president, partly because no one else threw their
hat into the ring at the time, but also because I feel VERY strongly about
exactly the issue outlined above. As an active (and generous) member of The
Nature Conservancy, I see a real opportunity for special-interest
associations, such as ours, to partner with other, larger, and better-funded
organizations to accomplish goals of mutual interest. In my own state of
Virginia, for instance, we have a very active local TNC chapter, as well as
the Virginia Native Plant Society. Both organizations work to preserve native
flora, including (if only coincidently) carnivorous plants. We should be able
to work with such organizations in the states (and nations) where the threat
to CP is most severe, whether it's Indonesia, Australia, or North Carolina,
USA, to raise awareness, to buy habitat, or to aid in survey, reporting, or
even perhaps enforcement efforts.

A personal goal of mine is to organize a National Capital Area Carnivorous
Plant Society to give our issues, and ICPS, a stronger voice in Washington on
conservation issues and a greater presence before the public at the U.S.
Botanical Garden, the National Arboretum, and elsewhere.

At every level and in every locale, however, we can organize bureaus of
speakers for educational presentations, garden/collection tours in our
communities, coordinate research efforts, etc.

Rick, if this wasn't an appropriate forum for me to campaign, I apologize ..
and everyone? Just disregard the above <grin>. But in any case, remember to
vote early ... and often.

Jay Lechtman (L235@aol.com)
Candidate for ICPS Vice President