Re: Re: Peat Tea

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Fri, 08 Nov 96 16:01 EST

> From: L235@AOL.COM
>

> It was me, Dave, but the answer is yes regardless. I've tried it on a
> number of my VFTs and Sarracenias, both established and not.
>

> peat-based media should be leached of tannins. If a plant is newly
> potted, it should lose color because of the disturbance, but at that
> point, the media is tannin-rich with new peat.)

Hi Jay,

Perhaps if the pot is standing in a tray, it will hold on to
the tannins, ect. for longer? Water that washes through the soil
(peat) flows out the bottom and into the tray. Then, as the plants
drink, some water is pulled back into the pot. Of course, you will
still loose stuff over time, but probably not as fast you think...

Growing Sarracenia in a bog seems to help avoid this, with the sphagnum
making hummocks, the soil is renewed.

Dave Evans NJ, USA :-Q*