Peat moss, pythium, phytophera, etc.

Perry Malouf (pmalouf@access.digex.net)
Sat, 2 Nov 1996 21:12:29 -0500 (EST)

Loren Russell wrote:

> ... it may be worth mentioning that [dry] sphagnum was widely
> used in WW I as a sterile surgical dressing. Whole sphagnum moss
> and sphagnum peat is not a friendly substate for most opportunisitic
> bacteria and fungi.

"Opportunistic" for what organism? Humans? The reference to surgical
dressings leads me to that conclusion. Does the same statement
apply to bacteria and fungi that can attack plants?

I do know that it is possible for humans to contract a fungal infection
from dried long fiber sphagnum--I've forgotten the name, is it
phytophera? Maybe not. Whatever the name, I've heard that it's
quite troublesome to get rid of once you've got it. Many people
who handle dry sphagnum on a daily basis use gloves. You're
supposed to be careful with the stuff if you have cuts on your hands.

Barry Giles wrote:

> Horticulturalists have been using peat for years on very bacteria
> susceptable without steralising it. Loam is the growing media people
> should be wary of. This is because peat is a naturally sterile media.
> The only way it will be contaminated is if you store it a pile on the
> ground open to the elements ( some daft people do! ) or by
> buying a bag that is split.

Rob Sacilotto reports that the University of Virginia did some tests
on peat moss, and found phythium in it. This can cause a damping-off
fungal infection in plants, primarily the delicate seedlings. Larger
more established plants could probably handle it without much
attrition.
Perry Malouf