Re: Advice sought from SF Area CP-ers

John H. Phillips III (phillips@library.ucsf.edu)
Sat, 26 Oct 1996 17:23:50 -0700

At 01:14 PM 10/26/96 -0700, you wrote:

>Hi everyone--
>
>Recently, I received some lovely clumps of D. filiformis, S. leucophylla
>and S. rubra from Ron Lane's annual bog-stripping, and then proceeded to
>ask HIM about OUR winter weather patterns; i.e.: if they were suitable for
>outdoor cultivation/dormancy requirements of these CPs. :^Q
>
>Well, I don't know what I was thinking--he lives in NJ! Anyway, if anyone
>here has experience with these species in outdoor cultivation--but because
>of our whacky micro-climates, the closer to SF, the better--please let me
>know via private e-mail if you think our climate suits these species.
>
>Thanks a bunch,
>Gary
Hi Gary,
I grow these and everything else outside on my 3rd floor balcony over in
Berkeley. The only plants I have inside are tropical Utric's and Drosera,
and lowland Nepenthes. The weather suits the dormancy of the temperate
species. My usual problem is too much sun in the summer.
Hope this helps,
John H. Phillips III e-mail:phillips@library.ucsf.edu
Interlibrary Loan Rm 202
Health Sciences Library