Re: Questions about dormancy, etc.

John Walker (jorwa@syspac.com)
Wed, 23 Oct 1996 11:16:31 -0700

At 01:24 AM 10/23/96 -0700, you wrote:
>A couple of questions, from someone who is fairly new to all of this:
>
>1) I have a number of VFTs in a terrarium setup, which are several years
>old. I have not allowed them to go dormant in the past two years, and am
>aware that they will start to decline in vigor unless I do. As I live in
>So. Cal, it's difficult to get the cooler temperatures I'm told they
>prefer by simply putting them outside- would my best alternative be the
>refrigerator? If so, how exactly do you prepare them for this? I've been
>told keep them damp, not wet, and treat them well with fungicide
>beforehand. What type of fungicide is recommended, and do they plants
>need any light during the dormancy period?

The VFT's seem to want temp's below 50F for at least three months. In my
climate I have to resort to using the fridge to simulate these conditions.
In years past I have cut off the leaves, trimmed the roots, treated with the
fungicide Benomyl and placed the plants with a little moist sphagnum into a
plastic bag. This year I am just going to let the soil dry to the moist
stage and place the plant, pot and all, in the palastic bag. I'm sure the
plants would rather have some light during the dormancy period but mine seem
to do fine in total darkness.

>2) I also have a S. Purpurea, a S. Wrigleyana, a D. Capensis, and a D.
>Multifada Extrema. I'm assuming that I should winter the Sarracenias by
>placing them outside, or in the fridge with the VFTs- what about the
>Droseras?

D. capensis will grow year round if supplied with warm temp's and light. I
don't grow the others so I will withhold any further advice.

>3) I'm having a mold problem with one of my pitchers. I tried using a
>mild peroxide solution a while back, and flushing the plant immediately
>afterwards, which worked fairly well, but had the unfortunate side effect
>of almost completely wiping out the live sphagnum it was planted in. Are
>there any fungicides I can use that won't destroy the sphagnum as well?

I use Benomyl with good results (no fungus yet and no dead plants). The
only source that I have found for this fungicide is from a questionable
online nursery.

Hope this helps,
John in Phoenix