Re: Mealy bugs

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Fri, 18 Oct 96 15:56 EDT

> From: Steve Grigg <sgrigg@ULTRA.NET.AU>

> > 17) Re: Pitcher Plants of Borneo
> > 18) Re: Pitcher Plants of Borneo
> > 19) Rogor on Sarracenia
> > 20) Re: Rogor on Sarracenia
> > 21) The strange VFT I saw in the shop
> > 22) Re: In search for Triphyophyllum
> > 23) Re: In search for Triphyophyllum

Hi Steve,

One point firstly: Please DO NOT quote the entire digest!
Some people have to pay for the amount of data received and
besides it's not very good e-manners. Just quote the part
important to your reply. Thank-you.

> Mealy bugs!Horrible and persistant little beggers aren't they!I
> have problems with these on my Sarras from time to time.I used an old remedy
> given to me years ago.With the bugs on the plant itself,I use a cotton bud
> dipped in metholated spirits.Just dab the bug with the cotton bud.You will
> see the mealy bug change colour as the metho touches it.I then use a soft
> tooth brush to then remove the bodies.The ones on the roots are another
> matter.I place the entire pot into a bucket of water and leave it standing
> for a day.The little beggers can't breathe under water and drown.This
> doesn't harm the plants in any way and I think is a chemical free way to get
> rid of these pests.

Yes, they sure look terrible. I've also found the root dewelling
mealy bugs can be easily removed by soaking in water without any
other chemicals also. Are these bugs a different species from
those found on the leaves and stems?

Dave Evans