Re: Containers for Nepenthes cuttings

tkhayes@pennet.net
Fri, 18 Oct 1996 16:00:41 GMT

Steve,

You wrote:

>I modified the technique by removing the bottom of the film container with a
>sharp knife cutting it as straight as possible. Next, I put the drainage
>holes in the snap-on lid which then becomes the bottom. When the cutting is
>ready to transplant, remove the lid leaving you with a cylinder open at both
>ends, then push the entire contents through the cylinder.
>
>This is less stressful on the plant than trying to extract it from the top or
>cut the container from the plant's perimeter.

I wrote the brief articl you are referring to, and I just have one
comment / question for you.....

Do you have any large neps yet? If you try rooting a rafflesiana or any
large nep using yourmethod, I believe you will have a great deal of
trouble trying to push any large cuttings through a film container! For
small ones, it should be fine though. I wait until there is a root ball
in there and they come out as a solid root mass. It takes a bit longer
for the extra roots to develop, but I don't rip the roots of them. My
latest rooting media is live sphagnum, which also helps hold the roots
together.

-Tom-