Lurkum Terminatum

Ken@casadyg.com
Mon, 14 Oct 96 13:51:10 PDT

Mike,

You wrote:

> A question, I have been growing Cape sundews for about 6 years now. They <
> are grown indoors under lights. They only bloomed the first year I got <
> them (well a couple of other times, sporadically) I vary the day/nite <
> light cycle to emulate temperate conditions( 16 hr days in summer down <
> to 10 hrs in winter) I know that this species <
> flowers and sets seeds easily(weedy) but not for me. They grow well <
> otherwise though. <
> Does anyone out there have any insights for me? <

I would put them outside with your Sarracenias & VFTs. If your weather
conditions are usually OK for these, than your Capes should really enjoy
it as well. I started out with two plants about 3 years ago and now
have @ 30 mature, flowering plants (and have sold & given away many
more). Growing outside seems to really encourage them to flower,
especially if your temps are a little cooler year round. But be careful
-- frost can kill them (although they will probably come back in the
spring).

However, since your plants have been growing in a very controlled
environment, I would try acclimating them to the outside very slowly.

Watch out, though. Once they start flowering, you will have a dickens
of a time trying to get them to stop!

Ken Cusson (ccskenc@redshift.com or ken@casadyg.com)