D. intermedia, D. "tracyii" dormancy

carnivor@bunyip.demon.co.uk
Fri, 4 Oct 1996 14:27:14 -0700

Jim Lucke <Jim.Lucke@pp.inet.fi> writes:

> What the heck, as long as some other new CP'ers are confessing that they're
> just growing a few flytraps from the grocery store, I might as well join in.

Welcome to the list,
> I have to say that I'm surprised these plants exist at all, since so many of
> them don't seem to have the will to live. How can they be so demanding and
> still survive climatic variations, floods, fires, and all manner of natural
> hazards.

They only don't have the will to live when kept in conditions far
removed from their natural habitats. Dionaea is an easy grower in a
North Carolina swamp with cold winters, occasional fires, etc. When
you confine it in a small pot where temperature and water levels can
swing quite drastically, keep it in a different climate zone and
provide it with a different soil from "home", it becomes harder (but
still far from impossible.) They only demand what they get in nature,
and in most cases will accept a pretty general approximation. That's
the great thing about CPs I guess - they're all so different, and
there's something for everyone, from very easy to virtually impossible.
If you think Dionaea's bad, try Drosera arcturi or glanduligera! :-)

Happy growing,

Peter

snail:Peter Cole,17 Wimmerfield Cr. :mailto:carnivor@bunyip.demon.co.uk
Killay, SWANSEA SA2 7BU, WALES :http://www.angel.co.uk/flytrap/index.htm
vox:+44 1792 205214 :Tissue Culture Kits for sale