Re: Fly Traps

CMDodd@aol.com
Mon, 30 Sep 1996 21:25:49 -0400

In a message dated 96-09-29 15:08:13 EDT Dane Ruyle writes:

> I have been reading these articles for quite sometime now and only two
> or three people have mentioned Venus Fly Traps or Dionae M. Has
> everyone out grown these or something?

Quite the contrary! Whereas once only the 'common' (if I may use that term
for Fly Traps), from of the plant was available, now new color, dentation
(toothed edge of
the trap), and even larger plant size varieties are available. They range
from all red (leaves and traps) to all green (no red pigment at all) to
varigated (rare and difficult) and with teeth like fine combs to 'chainsaws'
and then there is the 'clam-shell' which is a really strange form I
unfortunately lost, and the hairy or perhaps bearded inner trap that exists
in only one German collection if my information is correct. Perhaps these
oddities are the result of inbreeding or line breeding, but in any case they
are a welcomed addition to the species among hobbiests. Now we have to get
the plants up to 12" across with 4" traps and rename them Mouse Traps!

Cliff