Re: Re: Hybrid naming conventions?

Wayne Forrester (forrestr@mendel.Berkeley.EDU)
Mon, 30 Sep 1996 14:21:18 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Dave,
There are at least three possible explanations for the progeny
looking different depending on which species was the RmotherS. These
examples are maternal inheritance of organelles, imprinting and
maternal affect. In the first, most organelles appear to be inherited
primarily, if not exclusively, from the mother. Many of these
organelles contain their own DNA, such as chloroplasts and
mitochondria. Therefore, since the DNA in these organelles comes only
from the mother, there can be differences depending on which species
was the mother. In the second example, DNA can be packaged or
chemically modified differently in the maternal or paternal gametes.
This is called imprinting, and at least in mice, can lead to expression
of only the genes inherited from one parent. In the third example, the
egg is loaded with proteins and RNAs needed for early development in
the mother. These maternally provided components can, in principle,
lead to differences in the organism. I do not know much about plant
development, so I do not know how many of these examples are relevant.
Hope this answers your question, at least in part.