Re: Help - D. intermedia dormancy

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Fri, 27 Sep 96 16:34 EDT

> From: L235@AOL.COM
>

> My D. intermedia and D. intermedia hybrids are now beginning winter
> dormancy. Can anyone tell me whether or not I can safely remove the
> hibernacula from last year's stem growth?

I don't know for sure, Jay. I just leave the plants to their
own and they come back in the spring. If anything, just push
the stem down into the soil so the bud is closer to ground
level. I think the stem does help to keep the bud hydrated
throughout the winter so removing it may not be such a good idea.

> (both parents form hibernacula)
> D. intermedia x rotundifolia
> D. intermedia x filiformis

As should the hybrids. D.* hybrida is very hardy! It just about
makes a bazillion sideshoots over winter. One bud can turn into
five by the spring. I wonder if D.fili * D.rotund will look
just like D.* hybrida or not? Any ideas how this could look?

> (only D. intermedia forms hibernaculum)
> D. intermedia x brevifolia
> D. intermedia x capillaris

I have D.inter * D.cap, and it wintered over fine outside last year.
I was told by Phil Sheridan that it forms a winter bud and should
do well outside and it did both. I'm less sure of the D. brevifolia
cross though, I haven't grown it but would like to try. I may
have some seed of it from a cross I tried this year but won't know
until it germinates after stratifying.

Dave Evans