Re: Winters a'cum'n

Phil (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Tue, 24 Sep 1996 21:54:35 GMT

In your message dated Tuesday 24, September 1996 you wrote :
> Hello all,
> The nights are drawing in and I have just moved back to
> University with two of my plants P.vulgaris and D.rotundifolia. They are
kept against a south
> facing wall in 5inch pots. What do I do to over winter them, should I
> just leave them to become drier now or should I still keep the water

If you leave them outside it really shouldn't matter how wet the pots get.
I normally rely on natural rainfall with my plants kept outdoors.

> levels up for a bit longer. I also have D.binata which is at home in
> the care of my mother (for now!) but I will be going home to get it
> soon what are the winter conditions it perfers?

D. binata will take a bit of frost but won't like it. You'll lose all the
top growth and it takes at least a full gorwing season to get the plant
back to it's original size. Far better to keep it indoors on a sunny
windowsill with perhaps a propagator cover to keep the humidity up. If you
have an aquarium or even better a greenhouse this will be ideal. To keep
the plant in growth you need a winter minimum of 5 C.

> P.S. I am new to C.P.s and would like to meet up with some one in
> N.W. of England so that they can show me the ropes.

Can't help you there I'm afraid as I live in Somerset - just about as far
away from the NW as you can get. If you are a member of the UK CPS try and
advert in the plant & link up section for local member.

--
Phil Wilson
(cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)