Sarracenia?(Greetings from Singapore)

Frank Udovicic (F.Udovicic@pican.pi.csiro.au)
Tue, 24 Sep 1996 10:24:55 +1000

TANWK <TANWK@am.nie.ac.sg> wrote:
> There is a nice picture of a Sarracenia gracing the cover of the August
>1996 issue of American Journal of Botany, Vol 83, No. 8 . The article in it
>is entitled "Genetic structure of two endangered pitcher plants" by Godt &
>Hamrick.

G'Day all,

When I saw the photo I immediately thought it was of Sarracenia flava, but
the caption on the inside front cover says it is S. oreophila. Can any
Sarracenia buffs give a definite identification please? If it is
S.oreophila, can you please give the diagnostic features that make it S.
oreophila, rather than S. flava.

By the way, the article is about the genetic diversity in populations of the
rare pitcher plants, S. oreophila and "S. jonesii" (also known as S. rubra
subsp. jonesii). How widely is the name S. jonesii used? The only times I
have seen it used recently are when conservation of the plant is being
discussed, ie. it is easier to convince politicians that a species should be
conserved, as opposed to a mere subspecies. Am I being too cynical?;)

Cheers,
Frank.
Dr Frank Udovicic
Australian National Herbarium Email: F.Udovicic@pi.csiro.au
CSIRO Division of Plant Industry Phone: +61 (0)6 246 5177
GPO Box 1600, Canberra Fax: +61 (0)6 246 5249
ACT 2601 AUSTRALIA