Re: - CP Chat Room and Weekly Chat Meeting -

Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
Thu, 19 Sep 1996 21:05:33 +0100

On 18 Sep 96 at 1:30, jeffgold@musictown.com wrote:

> I have installed a real-time chat room on the internet for talking about
> carnivorous plants. You can get to it by visiting:
>
> http://carnivorousplants.com
> There is free chat software called Global Chat that you will need to
> download to chat. It is available from the same web page. It runs on
> Macs or Windows.

I took a look today. I hadn't heard of Global Chat, but a bit of
investigating revealed that it is an IRC (Internet Relay Chat) client
from Quarterdeck, which means that you can chat on this service with
your usual IRC client if you can't be bothered with Global Chat - I
think the only difference is that the latter is designed to be
started automatically by your Web Browser and is probably designed to
be more user-friendly. If you want to use an ordinary IRC client,
then follow the link above, then save the .chat file to disk or view
it on your screen - the contents tell you the server and port you'll
need for IRC.

I took a look from work today using Telnet via a telnettable IRC
server (I can't just go installing clients at will on work machines),
and at least proved that it would work. There was nobody else there
to chat with though. Perhaps I'll drop in one Sunday at the announced
time - you should tell us the time in GMT as well - I don't actually
know what EST is (though I can no doubt find out easily).

I remember a plan ages ago to chat about CP on channel #flytrap on
the usual EFNet IRC servers - I don't know if it ever got going.

--
Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)