Re: Re: Drosera filiformis

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Mon, 09 Sep 96 21:37 EDT

> From: Whirlabout@AOL.COM
>
> > I've found that D.f. tracyi is much less hardy
> > than D. fili. fili. which seems odd to me since the Sarracenia
> > from the same regions have no trouble with the cold New Jersey
> > winters in my set up. Comments?
> >
> I have noticed the same thing. I have more D. filiformis filiformis than I
> can shake a stick at and only one D. fili tracyi made it through the winter.
> Also the D. fili fili are sending up multiple flower stalks and the D. fili
> tracyi has not flowered in two years. However, I'm also here in NJ, USA.

Hi Ron & List,

I don't really understand this, what with the D. fili. tracyi
not be able survive (maybe barely) and being completely unable to
flower this far north. The single plant I have of this subspecies
was very heathly when I received it from Craig Gardner, but now it
doesn't seem too happy. What conditions does it prefer? It's growing
in full sun, slightly elavated above the water table where VFT and
other N.A. Drosera are doing very well.

In years past, when I grew this plant and tried to winter it
over outside, I noticed that the winterbuds were very small and
almost not there compared to the 1cm + bubs formed by D.fili fili.
also they seemed a bit woody, again, unlike D.fili fili. Has any-
one noticed these characteristics also? It leads me to think perhaps
they ARE seperate species as they don't seem to like the same conditions.
Yes, I read the article in CPN by Schell in which he demonstrated
why they should be considered subspecies, though they may as well
just be left as variants. I've seen D.fili tracyi in the wild and
I thought I had done fairly well in remaking an environment for it
at my house but something is missing...

Dave Evans