Re: D. Spathulata & Adelae

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Mon, 09 Sep 96 16:33 EDT

> From: dphillips <dphillip@LINKNET.KITSAP.LIB.WA.US>
>
> Are the plants that sprout from the D. Adelae's roots a reflection of the
> plants health? I have three that have sprouted from the same root of the
> mother plant, and they appear to be very healthy. They seem to be
> doing better than the mother plant!

Yeah, they do that, weird eh? Anyway, D.adelae is a picky plant
and it maybe the the sprouts are really better established than
the original plant which was transplanted to get it to where ever
it is.

> I also have quite a few D. Spathulata's that are blooming. The flower
> stalks have from two to six buds each, depending on the age. The problem
> that I seem to be having is that they only stay open for about one day,
> then they close up. Or, if I take them out of direct light, they close
> up. How is it possible to pollinate them when they are open for so little
> time, not to mention that they are only about a 1/4" wide?

Oh that's just how they are supposed to be! Nothing wrong at all.
The is a species of pygmea Sundew which has flowers lasting as long
as three days, don't know the name off hand though.

Dave Evans