CITES and Seeds

Carlo A. Balistrieri (cabalist@facstaff.wisc.edu)
Mon, 09 Sep 1996 10:39:02 -0500

>Topic No. 2
>
>Date: Fri, 6 Sep 1996 21:31:31 +0100
>From: Clarke Brunt <clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk>
>To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
>Subject: Re: CITES and seeds
>
>On 2 Sep 96 at 10:07, Daniel Tepas wrote:
>
>> What happens, if I send some seeds of listed plants over seas?
>
>If I understand things correctly, then seeds of listed plants are
>treated as 'one grade less' than plants. So seeds of Appendix I
>plants would be treated as Appendix II (and hence require permits),
>while seeds of Appendix II plants (this is where most CP are listed)
>are not restricted at all. This stuff is all stated in various online
>resources about CITES if you can face wading through them.
>Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)

Clarke, et al,
The treatment of seeds is as follows:

1) Wild collected App. I seeds are regulated the same as the
plants--and cannot be traded for commercial purposes.

2) Artificially propagated App. I seed is treated the same as art.
prop. App I plants--they are treated as App. II's.

3) Appendix II seed is not regulated by CITES unless the listing of the
species is annotated to include seed. As such no CITES permits are necessary.

4) Local, state and national laws (i.e. the US Endangered Species Act
and similar statutes in other countries) laws as well as any applicable
phytosanitary rules must still be checked.

5) Keep in mind that CITES is implemented and enforced separately by
each party nation. Consequently requirements may vary from country to
country. Check with your management authority for the proper way to
ship.

Carlo

Carlo A. Balistrieri, J.D. Email: CABalist@facstaff.wisc.edu
P.O. Box 327