Re: VFT seed harvesting

Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
Tue, 3 Sep 1996 20:58:50 +0100

On 3 Sep 96 at 11:46, Greg_Goldsmith_at_1PO-CCFWO@m wrote:

> Some of my VFT have finished flowering, the flowers are now black and
> wilted, but the flower stalk and individual "stalklets" are still
> turgid. My question is: When is the appropriate time to harvest the
> seed?

WIth any luck, you'll eventually see the seed capsules split
revealing clusters of the black shiny seeds, but sometimes the seed
set is rather poor, and you have to locate the seed among the black
debris. Possibly your seeds are ready, since I've just harvested some
of mine despite the stalks still being green and turgid. I seemed to
get a good seed set this year, so I could clearly see the seed when
the capsules ruptured.

--
Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)