Re: Daphnia

Tim Williams Ext. 5529 (tjw@chos001.cho.ge.com)
Mon, 26 Aug 96 10:40:48 EDT

Ken Cusson wrote:

>It is my understanding that if you have enough of these critters they can
>handle the algae that builds up in the Utric tanks ... right?

It has been my experience with the Eastern US Utrics that algae grows
because the Utrics have eaten all the Daphnia and other small crustaceans
that would normally keep the algae in check. Daphnia only last about 10
minutes when placed with Utrics.

I start Daphnia cultures by placing a bucket of water in the sun in the
greenhouse. Algae appears first, Daphnia soon after. Takes about three
months. Adding mud from a pond will speed it up.

Tim Williams
tim.williams@cho.ge.com