Re: vegetative apomixis

Rob Brisler (brislerr@ozemail.com.au)
Sun, 18 Aug 1996 22:03:19 +1000 (EST)

At 08:41 AM 14/08/96 -0700, Jay Lechtman L235@aol.com wrote:
>(again spelling?) Comment on the list about this phenomenon in VFT ... on a
>CP trip to the New Jersey (USA) Pine Barrens over the weekend, we found the
>same phenomenon on the flower scape of a D. intermedia. Any other
>species/genera susceptible to this?
>
>Also, my guess is that it's caused by severe weather changes ... both times
>I've observed it (NC VFT and the above-mentioned Drosera) it has been
>following extremely cold winters, or cooler-than normal springs ... would
>this weather interfere with seed production, and therefore induce the plant
>to try vegetative reproduction as an alternative?
>
>Just wonderin'

My _Drosera pulchella X nitidula_ plants produce plantlets on their flower
scapes. Not every scape does this but the plants consistantly produce
plantlets on about one scape in ten....every year for the past five years.
I cannot link this with seasonal changes.

None of my other pygmy Drosera have exhibited this phenomenon.

Comments anybody?

Rob Brisler