Re: Just I thought

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Thu, 08 Aug 96 23:01 EDT

> From: Carl Mazur <cherryhillcp@FREENET.HAMILTON.ON.CA>
>
> of the pitcher is dark red. The purp wasn't anything special, it was a
> typical Ontario purpurea, green and red veined. Could this be how the
> red tube flava form came into existance? Any comments? It was just a
> thoughts.

Probably, I have a red tube S. flava that I selfed and the
seedling are growing out now. The whole batch of seedlings
appears quite uniform with respect to shape. Some of the plants
have red lines down the backs of the pitchers and some don't.
When I received this plant, the label read "red form". It's got
really odd flowers, the stem and sepals are very red while the
petals are near white and have very little odor, unlike all the
rest of my S. flava. I'm looking for hybrid vigor or variations
in leaf shape to indicate a hybrid. So far I haven't seen it
but that could just mean the hybrid has become a stable species.

Dave Evans