Re: Intro and Questions (Cephalotus)

Rob Brisler (brislerr@ozemail.com.au)
Thu, 8 Aug 1996 00:14:02 +1000 (EST)

Edwin Spector <espector@mlswc.mlm.lucent.com> wrote:

>Question 1: I'm visiting Australia soon, and would like a chance to see
>cephalotus on its home ground. What specific parts of the country
>should I try?

The ONLY place you can find _Cephalotus follicularis_ or Western
Australian Pitcher Plant, in the wild, is around Albany, Western
Australia (on the southern coast). It is now very hard to find as in
its native environment it usually grows among grasses which effectively
conceal it through much of its growing season. It is easiest to find
when in flower as the flowers rise above the grasses like little flags.
For those who aren't aware, that is why Cephs throw such tall flower
scapes. They have to be able to rise above the grasses to have any
chance at being pollinated. Note that _drosera hamiltonii_ also grows
in the same area and also prduces very high flowr scapes which benefit
with some support.

Cephs are best grown in semi shade with medium to high local humidity. The
pitchers should always contain water. Under these conditions individual
pitchers can survive for two years creating a mound of active traps. The
non carnivorous leaves also hang on longer but seem to die off when covered
by the new season's traps. As long as the medium (standard _Sarracenia_ mix
works fine) is kept fairly damp they can be successfully grown in hanging
baskets, eventually completely covering the basket. I grow mine in 6" (15cm)
standard pots in 3:1 peat:sand in a cold house (and outdoors) sitting in 1"
(2.5cm) of water all year. If mould looks like a problem I use any systemic
fungicide which does not contain copper, and remove the pots from water over
the winter months just keeping the medium damp. They seem to enjoy the
companionship of most pygmy Drosera.

>Question 2: How much is the subscription to the (UK) CP Society? Mine
>lapsed a couple of years ago, when it cost eight pounds. Has it gone
>up?

Sorry no idea. Can tell you about Australian Societies if you're
interested.

Regards,

Rob Brisler