Re: Pollinating Cephalotus...

Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
Mon, 5 Aug 1996 20:18:42 +0100

On 2 Aug 96 at 17:51, Gary wrote:

> Hi, I'm new to this group and would like to test the waters by requesting
> advice on how to pollinate my Cephalotus.

Don't really know about pollination, but are you familiar with
what the seed is like. Small (maybe 2mm) light brown slightly
feathery thing. Mine flowered for the first time last year and I
attempted some pollination. I wouldn't have said I got any noticeable
swelling of the ovary, but eventually they began to shed seed like
that I had seen in purchased packets - just a few per flower.
So far they haven't germinated, but that's nothing new, since my
sum total from 3 packets of seed from Rowland (with maybe 5 seeds
in each) is 1 seedling - still I'm proud to have at least one that
I germinated myself (I was given the other two as seedlings).

Leaf cuttings are supposed to work - people have given advice on the
list before - my one attempt resulted in the leaves rotting *very*
quickly.

--
Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)