Re: Slow VFT traps and Akai Ryu VFT's on the way!

Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
Fri, 2 Aug 1996 22:51:46 +0100

On 1 Aug 96 at 20:29, Chris Clark wrote:

> I know this question has probably been asked a million times. Could
> anyone tell me why my venus flytrap's leaves move so slow and how to speed
> them up. Am I feeding them too much (once every one to two weeks)?

Do you mean that you feed every available trap with an insect every
one/two weeks? If so, you might just be wearing them out! I've long
since grown out of messing with my VFTs - they catch enough of their
own accord judging by the traps which I find shut with a 'shadow'
inside, but I suspect they'd do almost as well even if they didn't
catch anything at all. The traps on my plants shut very quickly (as
I've found out on the occasions that children get to play with them).

They delay for a second or two - just enough time for you to think
they aren't working - then wham! I wouldn't expect an individual trap
to work well more than a few times, and the first time is probably
the best.

--
Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)