Ping. Planifolia reply

Eric Kamakea (ekamakea@haywire.csuhayward.edu)
Thu, 1 Aug 1996 21:28:56 -0700 (PDT)

> Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 08:48:59 -1000 (HST)
> From: Philip Thomas <thomasp@maui.com>
> Subject: Ping planifolia; Hawaii
>
> Eric:
>
> I have grown P. planifolia in the past quite successfully in undrained
> tubs in FULL SUN (as I recall, planting mix was probably 50/50 peat &
> coarse sand). They were often in standing water, but it was NEVER
> allowed to stagnate (poured off &/or flushed at least a couple of times a
> week). BTW, where do you obtain your P. planifolias that "don't make the
> shipment"?

Eh Phillip, aloha Brah.
You live down da islands too? I used to live Hawaii for 12
years.

I'll bet your pings had pretty good humidity too eh? I had a propogator
dome on my plants for a while but that good old green algae sprang up so
I removed it. Guess I'l have to try it one more time. I'll definitely
give the water a good flushing out and see what happens. Otherwise my
method seems to parallel yours quite well.

Forgive me if my last listing came across wrong... the plants arrived
fine. In fact I didn't even order them, they came as a free bonus, but
they looked so nice that they won my attention. It was the transition
from their old home to their new one at my house that hallmarked their
decline in health. We had some unusal weather changes that might have
freaked them out a little in their attempt to get acclimated to our
conditions. They arrived beautiful purple with full oval leaves and
over a period of a couple weeks lost their color and dried.

Good growing. Eric Kamakea