Re: Drosera leaves turning black?

John Walker (jorwa@ix.netcom.com)
Mon, 22 Jul 1996 09:58:10 -0700

You wrote:

>I seem to have a periodic problem where the leaves of my D. capensis
>begin to turn black from the ends inward. The problem starts with the
>oldest growth and then spreads to the newer leaves and flower stalks,
>eventually killing the plant. At least that's what I *think* happens.
>What I've done so far is to spray the plants with "Safer" brand
>fungicide (0.40% sulfur) and "Schultz-Instant" insect spray
>(pyrethrins 0.02%, piperonyl butoxide, technical 0.20%, water 99.78%)
>
>It may be my imagination, but this treatment almost seems to
>accelerate the death of the plant.
>
>Plants with no evidence of the disease/infestation seem fine, even
>when treated with both compounds.
>
>So, can either of these compounds damage a weakened plant, am I
spraying too late? I've lost three mature flowers so far and I was
>really looking forward to starting a new batch from seed this year
>:-( I still have a chance, but not if this stuff comes back.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Rick
Rick,

FWIW, I don't know what is causing the original problem but it has been
my experience that pyrethrins (Sysnthetic?) and pyrethrums (natural?)
are very harmful to drosera. I sprayed my VFT's to eleiminate mites
and the over spray just about killed several of my D. capensis. it
turned them black in the center and I thought the stalk was going to
rot. The plants are returning to normal although there are many
deformed leaves. I also killed a very young S. purpurea :(

John Walker