Re: Re: Flytrap color and Spanish moss prices

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Thu, 18 Jul 96 16:57 EDT

> From: "Phil Semanchuk" <semanchuk~pj@GLAXO.COM>
>
> > In addition to light, one thing I have found that
> > affects Dionaea trap color is media.

Yep!

> That's interesting. I've seen Dionaea in the field where an all-green plant
> grows right next to a lovely red one. This subject has come up on the list
> before, and then I think we decided that a given plant will only have red
> coloration if --
> a) It has the proper genetics
->C<-It is growing in the right stuff (whatever that may be)
->B<-It gets lots of sun.

I think that is the order of importants for this plant.

> If the elusive "all-red" VFT is grown in dim light, does it lose it's
> color?

Yes it does. Mine are all red but you can see some green which
does show through in parts. The whole plant is darker than one of
a regular colored plant. This is easily seen if you grow both
types together for contrast. Even the stimga has got some red in
it. They only get five hours of direct sun and when I've had them
in a sunner losation, they were much redder but this goes for any
CP (at least) which does have the genetic capability for red coloring.

Dave Evans