Re: Nepenthes Leaf Coloring

Zachary Kaufman (zkaufman@hertz.elee.calpoly.edu)
Tue, 9 Jul 1996 17:38:27 -0700

>> From: Zachary Kaufman <zkaufman@HERTZ.ELEE.CALPOLY.EDU>
>>

>> thriving).**The problemed N. Madagascariensis's leaf color is also
>> becoming more of a pale green.**Does anyone know what might be
>> causing this? Is this plant more sensitive to some environmental
>> condition than other Nepenthes; if so which? I would love to hear
>> from anyone who might know what the problem is or can describe the
>> conditions under which they are growing the plant successfully under.
>

> Ok, This sounds like one of two problems. 1) You have mites on
>your plants. This will be fatal if they aren't controlled. This is
>easy to do. Just spray the plant and it neighbors with a soap solu-
>tion. Do this every 10-14 days. After a few minutes wash off the
>plants and run water through the soil to wash away the soap. 2) Your
>plant is Nitrogen deficient (sp?). This can be fixed with a very light
>application of fertilizer, applied to the leaves not the soil. If
>there are pitchers feed it also.
> It will take up to a week for any color to come if it is lacking N.
>If it's mites, only the new growth will show better color after their
>population decreases since the mites have sucked out the chloroplasts
>or killed them.
>
>Dave Evans

I have a couple of questions regarding your diagnosis.

1) If the problem is from mites, should I be able to see the little
critters? I have not observed any insects in or around the plant.

2) I have been feeding the plant ants and small sow bugs since I got
it. This has only stopped recently. The pitchers have been dying
off faster than the plant can replace them. Considering this, is
it still likely that the plant is nitrogen deficient? Does the
use of dilute chemical fertilizers cause any stress to an already
weakended plant if it turns out that it is not nitrogen deficient.

3) I probably should add some more info on the plant's environment.
About a month and a half ago, I was having the same problem with
three small (1.5 inch diameter) N. ventricosas. (Keep in mind that
in the same aquarium right next to these plants I'm mentioning I
had a fourth N. Ventricosa that was/is RAPIDLY increasing in size.)
I took the two plants in the poorest condition and placed them
outside. At first they hated it even though I misted them down
about ten times during the day to help them adapt. I am no longer
misting them down. They are growing now, producing good dark
green leaves, though they are yet to pitcher. The third unhappy
ventricosa still in the aquarium has picked up, but the leaves are
still a little pale, though not as bad as before. I would be eager
to move the N. madagascariensis outside, except I am not going to
be around during the day to mist it repeatedly. In addition the
temperatures outside are much hotter now. In any case, there is
still the problem of what to do with the plants outside during
winter.

I just don't get this. I have two rapidly growing N. khansianas. A
very happy N. ventricosa, a happy N. Rafflesiana, and an N. Alata
seedling that is doing fine together with various other CP in the
terrarium. The problemed plants were in the choice spots in the
terrarium. All my Nepenthes have good coloration in their pitchers
(except my Khansianas which have green pitchers) including the problemed
ones. Do some Nepenthes show a sensitivity to spectral imbalance
from flourescent lighting? I hope I can get to the bottom of this.

Thanks for the help,
--Zachary--