Re: Nepenthes Madagascariensis

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Mon, 08 Jul 96 15:50 EDT

> From: Zachary Kaufman <zkaufman@HERTZ.ELEE.CALPOLY.EDU>
>
> thriving).**The problemed N. Madagascariensis's leaf color is also becoming
> more of a pale green.**Does anyone know what might be causing this? Is this
> plant more sensitive to some environmental condition than other Nepenthes;
> if so which? I would love to hear from anyone who might know what the
> problem is or can describe the conditions under which they are growing the
> plant successfully under.

Ok, This sounds like one of two problems. 1) You have mites on
your plants. This will be fatal if they aren't controlled. This is
easy to do. Just spray the plant and it neighbors with a soap solu-
tion. Do this every 10-14 days. After a few minutes wash off the
plants and run water through the soil to wash away the soap. 2)
Your plant is Nitrogen deficient (sp?). This can be fixed with a
very light application of fertilizer, applied to the leaves not the
soil. If there are pitchers feed it also.
It will take up to a week for any color to come if it is lacking N.
If it's mites, only the new growth will show better color after their
population decreases since the mites have sucked out the chloroplasts
or killed them.

Dave Evans