RE: Darlingtonia

John Phillips (phillips@library.ucsf.edu)
Mon, 8 Jul 96 08:58:21 CST

In Message Sun, 7 Jul 1996 11:33:51 -0700,
"chris raby" <chris_raby_at_Indigo__Maastricht@smtplink.indigo.co.il>
writes:

> Hi there,
However one comment that seemed common to all
> be honest I believe this to be the problem as although the water isn't
> by definition "stagnant", I suppose for a plant that lives by mountain
> streams, it probably doesn't like sitting in the same water all the
> time - would this make sense?
> I shall water the plants through everyday from now on.
> once again thanks
> Chris R
Hi Chris, I haven't seen to many Darlingtonia sites, but at the one I am
familiar with in the Trinity Alps of California, the plants grow in a long,
wide bog above a lake continually fed with snow melt. Most of the crowns are
actually submerged in very cold running water. Consequently, I water mine
from above with at least one gallon of cold water every day, usually when I
arrive home from work. If the day will be one our rare scorchers, I water
them in the morning as well. I grow them in a white plastic tub in sphagnum
and perlite (approx. 2/1) with drainage holes in the bottom, set in a larger
white plastic tub with a drainage hole about 3 inches up the side. A piece
of plastic tubing set into this hole allows me to capture the runoff for use
on my less temperture sensitive plants. Of course it helps having a mate who
doesn't mind jugs of water in the fridge reserved the plants. ;-)
John Phillips Email: phillips@library.ucsf.edu
Information Services
UCSF Health Sciences Library Rm 202
San Francisco, CA 94143-0840