Re: Sarracenia as Lunch

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Fri, 05 Jul 96 20:19 EDT

> From: "Phil Semanchuk" <semanchuk~pj@GLAXO.COM>
>
> I have seen several list members talk about having their Sarracenias
> ravaged by hungry raccoons and birds. I recall in particular that one
> person said, "Once these animals find that your plants are an easy food
> source there's nothing you can do short of building a cage around your
> plants." My question is, why doesn't this happen in the wild? I have never
> seen wild plants that looked as if they'd been raided.

Usaully the birds and squirrels just dig in the soil. Often taking
some to use for their nests. Raccons will eat just about anything,
even plastic garbage can lids! I have not seen Sarracenia getting
damage by any animals other than the regular herbivorious (sp?)
insects for use as a food source. Nepenthes are, used by some
primates as food. They eat the bug's trapped in the pitchers,
or so I've heard.

Dave Evans