Re: Shrivelled S. oreophila pitchers

Peter Cole (carnivor@bunyip.demon.co.uk)
Tue, 02 Jul 1996 01:39:53 GMT

ahurrell@netcomuk.co.uk writes:
> I bought an oreophila about 10 years ago. It looked pretty much OK when I
> got it, but soon after the pitchers were coming up all shrivelled, even
> though it was standing in the water tray. The plant has been divided up a
> number of times now. Some of the plants from the divisions start the year
> looking as if they are going to be OK, but then end up going all
> shrivelled and distorted, as if the water has been sucked out of them. I
> have noticed no obvious pest, and this problem only affects the
> oreophilas. Could it be a virus? If so, are the plants still usable for
> breeding purposes, or could the virus be spread through the seeds?

You could be overwatering them - S.oreophila likes it a lot drier
than most other Sarras. It sounds to me that it's happy with the
reduced dormancy water level, but finds it hard to cope when you
raise the level in the summer.
I have mine in tall pots standing in 1" of water which I allow to
dry out for a day or two before refilling. All my other Sarras are
in 2-3" permanently.

Happy growing,

Peter

snail:Peter Cole,17 Wimmerfield Cr. :mailto:carnivor@bunyip.demon.co.uk