Re: P. ehlersae nervous breakdown?

Phil (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Sun, 30 Jun 1996 09:47:41 GMT

In your message dated Thursday 27, June 1996 you wrote :
> Hi All,
> Yes, I think one of my plants (not me, though a day on crutches
does tend
> to drive you round the bend) has had a nervous breakdown. I have a pot of
3 P.
> ehlersae's, one os growing happily though is still in it's tight winter
bud, the
> second is also growing happily, sending up a flower and looks as if it
might be
> coming out of it's bud but the third I gently touched one of the outside
leaves
> in the rosette and all the leaves on the plant fell off. They fell into a
nice
> neat pile and just left a tiny bud in the middle of the rosette which has
some
> lovely lucsious (?) white, firm roots on it (going down into the soil!!).
Does
> anyone know whether my plant will survive, why they are still in their
winter
> rosette or why this 'nervous breakdown' was caused? I am not too bothered
id it
> doesn't survive being as it supplied me with 30ish leaf cuttings, most of
which
> were already growing a small plant when they fell off the mother plant.
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> (Puzzled) Toby

Toby,

Was there any sign of rot at the base of the leaves that fel off or the
parent plant? If so you may be keeping your plant too wet. Mexican
Pinguiculas do not like it as wet as most other carnivorous plants.

If not, just push the leaves into the soil and in a few months you will
have more plants than you know what to do with. The parent plant should
survive quite happily too. I do find that some Mexican Pings (including P.
ehlersae) do lose their winter leaves very easily and this may well be a
method of natural propagation in the wild.

Hope this helps.

--
Phil Wilson
(cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)