Re: introduction....

Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
Thu, 23 May 1996 20:10:54 +0100

On 22 May 96 at 7:13, nick (n.t.) pitfield wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> 1) Venus Fly Trap (Dionaea Muscipula).
>
> I bought two of these, from different local garden centres.
>
> The first is fine, and has caught a few flys (including some big daddy long
> legs).
>
> The second turned black and seemingly died within a few days, but it had a
> few black parts when I first bought it (it was the best of a poor lot) and
> so I assume it was probably already dying. I have cut all the leaves off,
> leaving the base and roots, and am now waiting to see if it will manage to
> recover (I'm not very hopeful !).

So long as the base and roots were nice and white, it might be OK. If
they were brown and rotten, then there is less hope.

> I have a few questions:
>
> 1) The above are currently growing in 12cm diameter pots in a
> hydroculture-
> like scheme using "Seramis", which is red clay particles of about
> 2-3mm in diameter. Seramis and other similar brands are widely
> used in Europe for growing house plants.
>
> Some of the plant's original soil is retained around the roots, and
> then the rest of the pot is filled with Seramis, and given some
> special plant food (fertilizer).

Yes - I know this 'Seramis' stuff. Seems very expensive for a small
pack to me - I haven't used it. I think I'd miss out the fertiliser
if I was trying to use it for CP.

> According to a German house plant book I have, VFT (and,
> presumably, other CP) should be given a lot of sunlight and water,
> like to be kept damp and in high humidity (50%+), and should be
> fertilized every 4 weeks between May and August (their "growing
> season" in Europe). Apparantly the plants must have some
> fertilization because there is little actual soil to provide any
> nutrients. I am using a special plant water filter to provide
> lime-free water.

Most people would advise against fertiliser. Your right that they
don't get much nutrient from the soil, but that's the whole idea.
That's why they evolved to grow in a low nutrient environment, and so
supplement their diet with insects.

> As these are bog plants, am I correct in thinking that the pots should be
> kept virtually full of water to the top of the seramis/soil, or will this
> cause the roots to root ?

I think most people keep the water near the bottom of the pot, rather
than near the top.

> Also, I understand that the native habitat of CP is slightly
> acidic. Should I make the pot water slightly acidic, and if so,
> how ?

Using peat and rainwater probable normally provdes the slightly
acidic conditions. I wonder what your 'plant water filter' actually
does - I don't really see how it could remove the 'lime' without
acidifying the water? I'm sure you could acidify the water. Someone else
would have to suggest what acid to use. I would think you'd be aiming
for around pH 5, so it wouldn't be much acid.

--
Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)