RE: Re[2]: Slugs and CP

John Phillips (phillips@library.ucsf.edu)
Fri, 17 May 96 08:26:25 CST

In Message Fri, 17 May 1996 02:04:35 -0700, "westes" <westes@usc.com> writes:

>Hi Martin. To follow up on my last message, my friend the slug is
>making a nightly habit of circling the inside lip of my S. Purpurea.
>To add insult to injury, the pitchers were filled to the brim with
>water, and the slug was actually navigating the circumference of the
>pitcher while *submerged*. He had no ill effects at all from this, and
>he just circled continuously and eventually exited and went on his way.
>The only good news so far is that the slug seems to be coming to this
>plant for his nightly drug/sugar fix, not to eat leaves. I haven't
>noticed any damage to the pitcher itself (yet).
>
>Another poster mentioned seeing dead slugs in S. Purpurea pitchers. I
>am starting to believe that maybe those slugs died of old age. :)
>
>-- Will Estes U.S. Computer Internet: westes@usc.com P.O. Box 3150
> Saratoga, CA 95070-1150 FAX:
> 408-446-1013
I have seen slugs eating dead insects, and even the glue sizing off of
old hardback books. Some slugs seem to have a taste for protein. By
the way, the sound of a slug eating the glue off of a book is
surprisingly loud. Happy growing, John Phillips Email:
phillips@library.ucsf.edu Information Services UCSF Health Sciences
Library Rm 202 San Francisco, CA 94143-0840
Ph:(415) 476-8383 FAX:(415) 476-7940