Re: Darlingtonia

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Thu, 16 May 96 16:44 EDT

> From: martink@EOSC.OSSHE.EDU(Kirk Martin)
>
> My experience with growing cobra lillies was that they aren't as
> sensitive as I was lead to believe. I lived in Clarkston Washington USDA
> zone 6 and during the summer left them in a plastic tray with the water
> level approximately 2"deep. Summer temperatures ranged from low 80's to
> mid 90'sF on a regular basis. Pitchers were approximately 12-15tall. I
> never had the so called crash I've heard about (and believe could
> happen). Unfortunately in my move to Klamath Falls Oregon my
> Darlingtonia developed grey mold and rotted due to our extremely variable
> temperatures here. Any trouble to grow this one is worth it, the plants
> are spectacular. Kirk
> Klamath Falls Oregon where it can frost in June...

Ok, here's my experience: Heat comes, plants die. Could you explain
your method better? What soil were you using, how tall/big were
the pots. What sort of light did they get, only morning sun? On
a bench in a greenhouse?

I have over 100 seedling of Darlingtonia and couple of plants that
didn't die in the heat last year. Those that lived were growing
in nothing but moss, Sphagnum and sedge. All the plants in the peat/
sand mix, even when topped with moss, died. I think the lighter
moss acted as a evaporative cooler, keeping the the roots and
*rhizome* growing in it just below the fatality mark, somewhere
in the mid 80's F, I would guess.

Dave Evans