Re: Drosera capensis 'alba'

Peter Cole (carnivor@bunyip.demon.co.uk)
Wed, 24 Apr 1996 15:29:02 GMT

Nigel Hurneyman <NHurneyman@softwar1.demon.co.uk> writes:
> It is not a good idea to feed aphids to sundews, as one always
The exception that proves the rule is, of course, filiformis (though
they're easy prey while dormant.)
> 4) Drosera Capensis Alba
>
> I seem to have reopened a few wounds about the exact nature
> of this beast. Does anyone have any experiences of it not
> coming true from seed or cuttings?

I've been growing it for 5 or 6 years, and it has always come true
from seed and cuttings. But if you give it enough light (enough
being ridiculous amounts of artificial illumination or I suppose
natural light in sunnier climes than Wales,) it will produce tiny
amounts of anthocyanins in the leaf tentacles, even less on the
scapes but no discernable pinking of the petals. The best way to
get this effect is to force the plants on a 24hr photoperiod a few
inches from a 25W fluorescent lamp for a month or two! It is actually
a most attractive 'blush' effect. So I would have to regard the plant
as being strictly not so much 'anthocyanin-free' as a 'very green'
form. From experience, it's slightly less hardy than the 'narrow-
leaf' form that many people regard as 'typical' - I lost all of my
exposed 'albas' this winter, but some of the 'narrow-leaf' specimens
have survived the winter outdoors. I've not tried this with the
'wide-leaf', the 'very red' or the 'crestate' forms (I haven't got
enough surplus.)

Happy growing,

Peter

snail:Peter Cole,17 Wimmerfield Cr. :mailto:carnivor@bunyip.demon.co.uk