Re: Re: CPD685 - VFT resting

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Thu, 18 Apr 96 16:23 EDT

> From: DAVIDDOG@AOL.COM When I was younger, I visited Wilmington N.C.
> in Nov. and again in Feb. and I remember finding functional traps at
> both times. Can anyone who lives in that area or visits tell me if
> that is their experience? Maybe other indoor growers can tell me if
> they have similar experiences of winter growing VFT ? Does anyone
> know if VFT are induced to dormancy by short days, low temperatures,
> or both?

It's mostly the photoperiod. Without first being given short
days-long nights the plants will not be able stand cool-cold
temps. Same for Sarracenia. Of course, you are growing your
VFT's in conditions that are different than say mine so you will
get different results. It seems VFT is quite variable can handle
many photoperiods that it doesn't experience on it's home turf.

Dave Evans

P.S. Has anyone grown this one in the tropics?