Re: Intro., fish food during insect shortage?

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Mon, 15 Apr 96 16:50 EDT

> From: "Shane E. Wernsing" <wern0047@GOLD.TC.UMN.EDU>
>
> I'm wondering what sort of supplement should be used during the
> winter, when flies are not available. I suppose that mealworms and
> small crickets might work. I know that beef is not recommended (too
> much fat/cholesterol?).

Too much fat alright! It's not even a good idea to eat it yourself,
though it doesn't stop me. Anyway, VFT should be resting through
the winter. During this time they produce non-carnivorous leaves
or none, depending on how cold they are.

> Since I have an aquarium, I keep fairly good track of what sort of
> food I give to my fish. I've noticed that some types of food
> (bloodworms, for example) are quite high in protein and low in fat.
> Can anyone see any problems with using such a food for VFTs and other
> CPs?

Blood worms are good CP food but they can get messy. Try tubifex.
They come in little cubes and you can cut them to the size you need.

Dave Evans