Re: This CITES Stuff

CBelan9630@aol.com
Sun, 7 Apr 1996 10:00:23 -0400

In a message dated 96-04-07 00:20:32 EDT, Chris Teichreb wrote:

> I think the main reason for the CITES bashing is that there
>always seems to be an air of confusion around this topic regarding what's
>covered (ie: plant parts), what permits are needed, etc. Unless you're a
>poacher, most people shouldn't have a problem with the fact that CITES is
>there to protect wild populations.

First let me say that I think some sort of CITES is necessary otherwise such
plants as N. rajah, and S. oreophila would no longer be among us due to
ruthless collecting. But on the other hand, at least here in the US the
problem is lack of education of people who work in these agencies that handle
permits. A friend tried to get simple import permits (not even CITES
related) for Heliamphora. He got a note back stating that they need the
scientific names of the plants that he wants to import. Someone missed the
point somewhere....I also think that some people in Washington have never
grown a plant in their life.

Just my two c.

Christoph