Utrics and fry

Nick Plummer (Nick_Plummer.HG#u#MAIL@mailgw.surg.med.umich.edu)
1 Apr 1996 10:43:47 -0500

>From: smallory@ouray.cudenver.edu (Sean Mallory)
>as I recall it has been noted that daphnia and
>similar species do well around the ultrics. Thus the ultrics may
>be a very good addition to breeding tanks, providing both food and
>shelter to small fry.

Regarding the use of Utricularia as cover in a fry tank. I have a copy of the
old Innes aquarium book which describes Betta splendens fry trapped by
Utricularia. Apparently the fry were too large to engulf, but they were
trapped by the head. This is a single anecdote in an old book, so take it
with a grain of salt. Utrics would certainly be safe with larger fry like
those of live bearers (although the parents might eat the Utrics).

cheers,
Nick

Nicholas Plummer
nplummer@umich.edu