Re: Philippines

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Thu, 28 Mar 96 19:00 EST

> From: Jan@PBC-THS1.PCI.CHEMIE.UNI-TUEBINGEN.DE(Jan Schlauer)
> Dear Tom,
>
> Also, if anything new is known about _N.petiolata_ (the plant described by
> Danser, *not* the plants wrongly labelled so in cultivation), I would be
> appreciative for details.

Jan,

I got a plant, N.petiolata, recently and it is very petiolate as well
as hairy on the undersides of the leaves. It pitchered once for me
and then I noticed the lower part of the plant was dying so I took a
cutting which lived and is now growing a pitcher again. The root
stock died. Anyway, it does not look like any Nep I have ever seen
in person or in photos, but parts of it remind me of other plants. The
pitcher it had briefly was/is quite similar in it's basic shape to the
photos on Andreas' web page of N.clipeata, though the upper part of the
pitcher is not so long in mine. The wings in the front of the pitcher
are like those of N.veitchii or N.* 'Dreamy Koto'. Of course, the
leaves are not similar to N.clipeata and are egg shaped with the wider
or bottom of egg being the side the pitcher grows from. If this isn't
N.petiolata what might it be? Some hybrid involving N.clipeata, veitchii,
or maybe truncata (which I'm not that familiar with and so could be WAY
off)?

Dave E