Re: Culture

Peter Cole (carnivor@bunyip.demon.co.uk)
Sat, 23 Mar 1996 01:14:36 GMT

Guido.J.Braem@bio.uni-giessen.de writes:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I do not know whether my earlier posting about this got through. So
> once again:
>
> Does anyone out there have plenty of experience with the cultivation
> of Biovularia, Ibicella and Genlisea, and wants to share is expertise
> with us??

Not really plenty, but successful anyway.

It's my first year with Ibicella, but I've had good germination
and growth so far using the same as works for my Proboscidea - a
compost of 1:1:1 houseplant compost:sand:perlite kept not too damp.
It seems to make a lot of roots, so I've potted up twice in as many
months (now 5",) and I'm giving it as much light as I can which it
seems to appreciate (4x36W fluorescent strips 18 inches above the
pots.) There's a flower bud forming on one, so I guess I'll be sure
then whether it is really Ibicella (though it seems distinctly
different in some of it's features than Proboscidea parviflora or
louisianica which I also grow.)

Genlisea hispidula - I have had one of my plants growing with the
traps hanging down into water since I saw that CPN cover photo, but
although it looks good, it doesn't seem to grow as well this way -
I'm planning to return it to peat and sand once I've taken some
nice photos. Tolerant and easy to grow seems to sum it up, unlike
the S.American spp.

Biovularia/U.biovularioides - does anyone know if this is actually
in cultivation? I've never come across it.

Hope any of this helps.

Happy growing,

Peter

snail:Peter Cole,17 Wimmerfield Cr. :mailto:carnivor@bunyip.demon.co.uk