Re: Re: Conservancy

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Fri, 22 Mar 96 19:39 EST

> From: Richard Wagner <dick@RMY.EMORY.EDU>
> > >
> > > As a matter of fact, controlled burns have been part of the
> > > park's management strategy for several years.
> >
> > Well, when I was there in summer 94, we were told of the no fire
> > policy and it's effects by a ranger.
> >
> I, too was there in May of 94 and on the east end of the park, the whole
> road to the visitors center, both sides of it, and toward the head of the
> swamp trail was burned over. There were adequate signs posted on the
> burned forest explaining why this was done.

Ah, now I know what happenned to all P.caerulea and P.lutea that
used to grow along this road. One of the reasons I had wanted to
be sure to re-visit the eastern side was to see all the butterwarts
growing along the road. I have seen pictures of that road in which
the sides of it were completely deviod of green from all Ping flowers.
I was very disturded upon my return to find not a single Ping. There
were still a couple hundred (I say this because I'm sure there were
many plants that I didn't see) of them growing along rail line by the
entrance but this is a very small population compared to what was
there only a few years before.

Dave Evans